while i was away, i finished another art journal. brown paper scrubed with white paint and webbing served as my cover fabric. i found this sweet initial stencil in the bargain bin of Michaels.
i began the month infused with a creative rush, fresh from the valentine exchange, but soon the wave crashed. pretty or at least interesting pictures entertained me. this beauty was salvaged from a copy of Nat Geo as an accompaniment to an article on argentine ants.
a sharpie doodle on top of a picture, which stuck my fancy.
symbols and scrawl etched my presence into the image.
when kelly invited me to participate in her valentine banner exchange, i jumped at the chance to work with this group of amazing artists. the goal was simple: download the provided template, cut the paper, and create until your heart is content (no pun intended).
it has been a few years since i took on such a project. once upon a time, i participated in a variety of swaps, exchanges, and round robins. due to the demands of the day to day and time constraints, i only participate in one exchange a year. i do miss the excitement of the swap such as meeting new artists and receiving incredible works, but most of all, the experience of stretching myself creatively, exploring new medias and mediums, and the inspiration i feel from the other artists as well as the newness of the project.
for this exchange, i decided to break out my paints and acrylic inks. using techniques i learned from jesse reno and other intuitive artists, I searched for shapes and images, which would create the composition. It did not surprise me that i would see the Buddha in many of these abstracts. i had recently had a dialogue with a dear friend about universal love and surrender so my subconscious gravitated towards those symbols.
i hope the ladies enjoy these hearts as much as i did making them. i will be posting the valentines i receive over the next few postings.
For Christmas....I made a bunch of these bird ornaments using this tutorial by Jessica Jane. In lieu of polymer clay, I used paper clay I had in my studio. Simple craft paint, a burnt umber wash and a coat of course glitter finished the ornament.
I received....these beautiful postcards from dear, Lelainia. Over the last year, Lelainia has dove into the world of photography and has created the most beautiful portraits. Please visit Lelainia's blog to see more of her incredible work. Thank you, L!
I finished...this quilt for my friend, Bridget. Made from large scraps and white sashing, the finished product measured 45x65.
Speaking of quilts....I am in the process of making two baby quilts for friends who are expecting. I have found Warm and Natural's Craft Size batting (35x45) is the perfect size for a sweet babe to cuddle.